V-Day play is a victory for vaginas

by Josie Norris, editor-in-chief.

V-Day play is a victory for vaginas
UNIVERSITY CENTER — February 14 at Delta College was not just a day for giving cards and candy to Valentines, the “V” in V-Day also stands for vagina and victory both of which are embodied in “The Vagina Monologues.”

“The Vagina Monologues,” written by Eve Ensler, is a play inspired by a series of interviews with hundreds of women regarding their relationships with their vaginas. The script is composed of a series of monologues based on these women’s stories.

Topics addressed in the monologues include exploration of the female body, orgasms, shaving pubic hair, rape, the word “cunt,” wearing short skirts “that don’t have anything to do with you” as one actress explains, childbirth and ends with a call for a revolution of how we treat women.

The play was described as “raucous, irreverent, naughty and hilarious” by director Chey Davis before the performance and I agree with her. This play’s message is hard to ignore and is more than an hour and half of entertainment. It is food for thought because how many women actually talk about their vaginas? And how closely related society’s ideas of femininity are related to them.

Dressed in shades of purple, pink and red, the cast was a collection of community members, which included many Delta students, staff and faculty. This diversity reflected the collection of voices from the women who were Ensler’s inspiration. The beautiful thing about the performance was the fact that the entire cast was onstage throughout the whole play. As their castmate delivered their monologue, they sat with rapt attention, supporting each other as they shared the stories of their female experience.

“The Vagina Monologues” was presented as part of Delta College’s V-Week to raise attention and awareness of “the sexual assault against women and girls, to create a call to action, to work together to end this violence,” according to the program.

V-Week was made possible through the Michigan State Police Campus Sexual Assault grant program. “The grant program aims to change the overall culture of sexual assault among the college-age population,” as stated on their website. Delta College was one of twenty-nine applications the program received and the grant allowed the facilitation of V-Week 2017 events at Delta, including “The Vagina Monologues.”

All the events for V-Week were free and open to the public but donations were accepted. 90% of the donations collected went to the Bay Area Women’s Center in Bay City, the Shelterhouse in Midland and the Underground Railroad in Saginaw. The remaining 10% was donated to benefit V-Day to “help end the exploitation of women in the workplace on a global level” as explained in the program.

Leave a Reply

Notify of
shared on wplocker.com